Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Spur of the Moment Summer Trip!


A couple of days ago I was showing my sweet hubby a friend's pictures from their recent trip to Starved Rock State Park, and he decided we needed to go ourselves...so we did! We had a great day, the sky was a little overcast which was a blessing. This spectacular park is only about an hour from our house but unfortunately we hadn't taken the time to visit for many, many years.


We hiked for miles, way up and way down...

This first pic is of Starved Rock taken from Lover's Leap

The next taken from Lover's Leap of Starved Rock. It looks like a LOOOONNNNGGG way between the two and it is. I decided I needed picture proof that I had made it to the top of each :o)

Apparently one of us was surprised the other made it all the way up the million stairs...

While the peaks had amazing "birds-eye" views of the river and the woods, the canyons were stunning as well.


We enjoyed a lovely brunch at the Starved Rock Inn and relaxed for a bit enjoying the pretty views. After lunch we walked and climbed until we couldn't go a step further.

We saw one particular waterfall from the bottom, from the middle and then from the origin of the fall...it was cool to see it from all angles.


The end of the day found us sweaty, tired, mosquito biten, muscles aching, but relaxed and happy...thinking perhaps we should be spontaneous more often!

5 comments:

Joni Nickrent said...

Great post, Terry! Looks like it was a fun-tastic adventure! Thanks for sharing!

Dawn said...

I'm impressed! I couldn't not have done it, I don't think. I don't do well with climbing - and humidity! Good job!!

And it is a beautiful place indeed.

elizabeth said...

I really, really love being out like that with my husband. You see all of God's creations and get filled with awe. And husband would be filled with awe if I made it up all those steps too - LOL!

The Red Brick Farmhouse said...

WOW.....you are a talented photographer as well! I just LOVE the pic after you and DH made it all the way to the top...PRICELESS! lol

Blessings~
Laura

grammy said...

What fun (o:
Wonder where that name came from???
did someone really starve...or did some lover really leap??? lol